Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's Still Raining...but We're Smiling

We had a 7 o'clock lesson tonight.  The footing was still choppy so Debbie coned off two areas where horse's have been tripping up.  This was probably the best lesson I've had to date!  Why?  Because we're finally at a point in our training that we're now dealing with "finesse" of the aids.  I figured I was still a year away from working on finesse, lol!

I know this has been double the work for Debbie, simply because she has had to train me and my horse at the same time.  It has been interesting to experience going through the phases of training.  In the beginning aids are strong, exaggerated, almost over the top.  Getting G to respond was similar to pulling teeth some times.  He would always end up doing what was requested, but it was always a discussion.  So many aids had to be turned up a notch here and there to get his attention.  

So tonight it was about learning to give and take the rein in the halt - keeping G from going behind the bit (his fav thing to do at the halt) and the right amount of leg to ask him to come into the bridle.  Sounds simple, but with a horse like G he makes you work for every little success.   We had a couple of solid shoulder ins where he held the correct angle (of course I'm learning what I need to do to support it) and his canter transitions were super prompt with a lighter cue.  Only problem?  I didn't time my cue properly and he picked up the wrong lead.  Debbie's was so happy with this.  I'm like what?  Her response was that this was the most obedient to the aids she's ever seen G.  She said that he's now responding immediately which is correct, now that we have his response, I can work more on my timing.  Ahhh, so that's it!  She also added that what she is seeing is a horse and rider that compliment one another - that means that we're finally coming into our own.  Who would've thunk it 6.5 years ago. 

I'm truly learning the importance of the supporting aids, and how a little thing like softening the outside hand can lead the horse to drop a shoulder in a leg yield.  Feeling how to correctly use my thighs against the saddle for support during the shoulder in.   And the other great thing tonight is that I made a lot of corrections in G's position without even thinking about it.  Debbie commented several times that she noted I caught him drifting, or dropping a shoulder, etc.  The fact that I'm finally instinctively doing some of these things right as they happen, puts me in a place I wasn't sure I'd ever get to.  Hands up, thumbs on top, even seat bones, weight in thighs, elbows back, heels down but not bracing, centering my core, breathing out, shoulders back,  hands soft, elastic contact, follow the horse.  All this chatter that goes through your brain for a loooong time.  To finally have some of it "just happen" is just a great feeling.  I think I'm finally becoming a competent rider!

No comments: