Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nice Workout!

We had a really nice 45 minute workout last night.   I generally come home tired, but last night I came home with a huge grin on my face, and feeling energized. 

We did our normal warm up.  Stopping square before and after each corner; leg yields off the quarter line toward the rail for 4-5 steps, then straighten for 3 and yield toward the centerline 4-5 steps and straighten at the end; followed by shoulder-in on the long sides in both directions.  Its a nice easy warm up and definitely helps free up G's shoulders.  Then we worked on the walk, lengthening and shortening the stride, and then we went to canter transitions. 

I'm working hard at my position, as I know this is a huge part of either getting a good transition or not.  When we're in balance, it's wonderful!  So we continued with this, working in both directions for about 8 minutes and then I took him large again and asked for gait.  This is where the big smile came from.  He gaited like a champ last night and I'm noticing that his ears are beginning to relax.  He used to always hold them straight forward.  Now they're pivoting here and there.  Then he gets that chug-a-lug breathing sound he makes in time to his gait.....but the best part came off one of the corners where I felt his shoulders rise up and felt the pull as well as the push from behind.  It only lasted about 6 strides, but it was pure raw power!  A true running walk absolutely, positively; and the best he's ever delivered.  Needless to say G was duely rewarded with praise, hugs, and pats. 

Had Liz Graves been in the arena I woulda hugged and praised her too!  As it was her pearls of wisdom about relaxing walk work being the key to unlock G's gaits.  Any time I've felt the need to go faster, I repeat what she has told me a couple of times...."this type of work is like watching paint dry - but it's worth every moment".  She is sooooo right!!

We finished off our session doing a 20 meter circle in the center of the arena, and as we come off the rail, we leg yield outward along the long arch, back to the rail and continue the leg yield on the opposite side of the circle.  We do this about 3 times in both directions.  The key is keeping him relaxed at this point, as this exercise is about softly stretching the muscles we just worked.  

When we got back into the barn aisle, G was rewarded with some home made oat/molasses treats.  Awesome, awesome ride....and I'm still smiling this morning!!

p.s.  When I got home I curled up in my pappasan chair and finished "Out of The Wild" by Mark Rashid.  What an awesome story, and it is filled with great training insights.  I highly recommend it all my horse friends.  I'd lend it out, but since its personally autographed I don't want to risk losing it. 

BTW - I know we all like to save money, but did you know when you buy books from Amazon.com the author only receives 3 cents per book?  Crazy huh?  So if you want to support Mark (and your other favorite clinicians) please buy your book directly from them.  It's like downloading music for free; artists are not duly rewarded for their talents.  Okay, off my soap box. 

2 comments:

Tammy in TX said...

Glad you had such a good time with G. I can't wait for our weather to clear and me to not be sick. I need some ride time!

Kate a.k.a. MBG said...

Ah Tammy, hope you feel better soon! Nothing worse than being sick - but at least the weather is miserable, so you're not missing beautiful riding weather. Get better, and the sun will shine for you!