Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's Raining, It's Snowing.....

Thank goodness for an arena, which I had booked for 7. So although I felt lousy today I decided if anything a ride would be good for my soul.  And I was right.  G is getting stronger and it just seems to be coming together more and more with every ride.  Tonight we did our usual warm up, asked him to gait - got a wonderful head bobbin' flat walk and a moment of running walk before I brought him back to the walk.  I'm trying to keep his mind soft, so I don't want to push.  We did some circle work - spiral in, leg yield out and then worked on our canter transitions.  Man oh man did he leap into the canter tonight!  He came up and then dropped his head down and I got those rocking chair canter strides that are just so unique to the TWH.  

On our second attempt we were coming around the arc of the 20 meter circle and all of a sudden I felt him trip up.  He caught himself and took a couple of funky little steps, so I asked him to hoa and then walked him quietly.  He was fine.  This is the second time this has happened in the same spot.  The arena footing is getting deeper and now the center appears to have a crater working.  Last week when this happened I thought G had just lost his balance, but to have it happen in the same spot again, nope not balance.  I mentioned it to one of the boarders who was getting ready to ride after me and she said she had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago with her horse and then again yesterday.  Sure enough, in the same location.   Hubby hasn't been allowed to roll it all winter due to the cold and it really needs it bad!   I'm getting so I'm afraid to canter G in there anymore.  The two ends of the arena aren't so bad, but the footing is getting looser and I'm afraid of suspensory injuries.  Hoping we can get in there in the next few weeks and groom the footing properly.  Actually, if we could remove half the footing, we would probably be golden!  

Why oh why can't any one boarding facility be absolutely perfect?  If the trails are good, the arenas aren't.  If the arenas are great, the trails stink.  Or if you do find both the price is astronomical [heavy sigh] the one thing I don't enjoy about horse ownership.  I know, I know, I shouldn't complain, after all I have a place to ride in winter.  But when it comes down to it, I won't have an indoor arena when we move to Tennessee, so maybe I need to just get used to it.  Oh no, did I just say that? 

2 comments:

Tammy in TX said...

You and G are inspiring me to start working on Summer's gaits. She does pretty good, but she is no G. Love reading your blog!

Kate a.k.a. MBG said...

What do you mean she's no G? G has lots of faults and still needs lots of work :) I wish I could do all the versatility you do with Summer! Isn't that always the way? I can't picture G doing Cowboy Mounted Shooting or working cattle. Though he might surprise me lol! Glad you enjoy reading our progress. Its been a long haul but I feel like we're just getting to the good stuff!