Thursday, March 18, 2010

New Barn...New Life for G

So the real reason for asking about a horse going from a solitary paddock life to a herd life is exposed!  On April 16th G will be moving to a new barn about a half hour from home. 

I'm very excited at the prospect, as it will expose us to lots of new things and adventures.  G will be introduced to one of the herds of 4-5 horses.  Currently there are two herds and depending on which lead horse G gets along with will determine which herd he joins.  As if he'll get along with the lead horse, the rest of the herd is a piece of cake.  I'm really impressed with the new barn owner as she really studies and looks into the horse's personality to determine where he/she will fit in.  The first day G will be penned in the outdoor arena across from the paddocks where he can smell, watch and listen to the other horses; and at the same time the new barn owner will observe G.  If he settles in nicely the first day, the second day the owner will choose which lead horse she thinks is best suited to G's personality and turn him out in the outdoor arena with G.  If they work it out, then G will be allowed to join the rest of that particular herd.  I really thought this was a well thought out process.  So many places just throw the horse out in a herd and hope for the best or simply let them work it out on their own.  I really like this ladies approach to horses so far.  And I am so happy that G is going to have the opportunity to live among other horses, the way it was meant to be. 

I'm sure there will be some changes to his relationship with me.  Now he's so happy to see me he pretty much always meets me at the gate.  I'm betting with a new group of friends, he'll be more apt to say "what do you want?" lol.  We'll see.  I may have to resort to cookies in my pockets!

Other great changes:  I love the older barn.  G has a double dutch door on the back of his 12x12 stall with a run out.  In the 3 nice seasons, he'll be able to come and go out of his stall at night.  The interior stall door is a half metal door with a "U" at the top so he can hang his head out and see what's happening in the barn.  I know he is going to love this as now when I walk out of the stall he always wants to peek his head out before I close him in.  I think this feeling of freedom is going to be great for his psyche. 

For us both comes great arena footing.  The indoor 60' x 110'  with just enough give, pretty darn level (one spot frost heaved at the entrance - but a work in progress) and its dragged daily.  I even cantered around it myself to check it out!  AND we have an outdoor lit arena too ~ 110' x 120' so it's huge compared to our current indoor and the footing is incredible.  I cannot wait to ride G in these arenas, as I know he will be a gaiting fool.   The depth, softness and uneveness in the current barn has always posed a problem with G and his performance. 

What else?  Great organic Timothy grass mix from a hay farm in Vermont.  G's hay will now be consistent throughout the year as it is trucked down from this farm 500 bales at a time.   They've cleared another 15 +/- acres at the back of the property to create more pastures for rotational purposes and up the hill (great hill for butt work) leads to hours and hours of trails through tobacco farms, woods, and more woods.  I'm so looking forward to not dealing with the swamps and wetlands from out behind the current farm.  Last year the mosquitoes were relentless and the only way I could ride out there was for me and G to both wear bug nets on our heads.  It was horrible.  And we had such a wet year that the trails were muddy from April through October. 

Once again we will be boarding with our friend & neighbor Trish and her horse Warrior.  They also are doing dressage, so this will definitely be fun.  My new found friend Cora and her horse Georgia are a 10 minute drive from the farm, so she'll be able to trailer over to ride with us. 

We have the Blackstone Valley Dressage & Combined Training Association tack sale on April 3rd.  I'm going to bring KTs Kreationsandkrafts bridle charms and equestrian cards.  As a fall back, I thought I should bring some used tack to sell as well.  One never knows!  The move on April 16th and then we go to Sutton MA the third weekend in April to do an hour lesson with Claudia Coombs.  I'm hoping G will be nicely settled by then, if not I may have to back out. I don't want to throw more than he can handle at once.  Since his impaction in Jan '08 the threat of colic is always on my mind now. 

Weather here is unbelievable this week.  Highs have been low to high 60's.  By Saturday it may hit 70.  A trail ride is definitely on the agenda!

So lots of new and exciting things happening for us this spring!

4 comments:

Four Lease Ranch said...

Wow Kate, it sounds like you have a great new situation for G. How wonderful! I really like the ladies philosophy on introducing him to the herd.

jill said...

Sounds like a really good place. Good luck with the move.
We integrate horses the same way, never just throw them in.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Glad to see you've found a place where not only the facilities are great, but someone watches herd dynamics. The two don't come together often enough, IMHO...

Have fun!

Kate a.k.a. MBG said...

Thanks ladies, I'm truly looking forward to the move, which surprised me a little as changing barns usual stresses me out! Must be a good sign :)