Friday, March 19, 2010

Dressage Lesson 3/17/10

Another thing that I will miss when we move is working with our trainer Debbie.  She has been such a trooper learning about gaited horses and she is the most positive person I've ever worked with.  Unfortunately she only travels if there are 2 or more students at the barn.  Since the new barn owner also teaches dressage, there is no way for Debbie to pick up a new student there (not fair to the barn owner).  My hopes are that Val is as good and positive as Debbie. 

Our lessons have just gotten better and better.  G is finally holding a shoulder in for more than 4-5 strides, which means I'm getting more consistent with my aids; while he's getting stronger.  I finally feel like I'm holding my position better and I can feel the difference it makes in G's performance ~ especially at the canter.  We had the best upward and downward transitions and G really worked hard mentally and physically.  He proved to me once again that when I ride with total purpose, he delivers everything he has to offer.  My horse has heart and I feel blessed that he has turned it over to me along with his mind, and now his body (thanks Liz).

The old English Proverb "SHOW ME YOUR HORSE AND I'LL TELL YOU WHO YOU ARE" is so dead on accurate.  Your horse is a reflection of you.  When you are out of balance, so is your horse.  When you are braced, so is your horse.  When you are scared of something, so is your horse.  So if you work toward ~ balance.....when you are in balance and centered, so is your horse ~ relaxed.....when you are relaxed, so is your horse ~ confident.....when you are confident, so is your horse.  As I've watched myself progress with G, so much of what I've read has been proven to me first hand.  The book "There Are No Problem Horses, Just Problem Riders" by Mary Twelveponies was one of my favorites.  Although I don't agree with all her training methods, her core philosophies mirror mine....Problem Horses are in the vast majority of cases the results of incorrect handling by humans.  Not necessarily done on purpose, but simply by humans not knowing or caring enough to learn.  Not stepping back and seeing the horse for who he/she is and asking the question "what can I do differently to help my horse find the right answer". 

My journey started 6.5 years ago with a horse that many felt was way too much horse; too uptight; too flighty; too crazy.  He made me step back and ask myself the question "what can I do differently to help my horse find the right answer?" and then I had the patience to work out the answer.  When I read first time horse buyer books that state:  "it can take up to a year for a horse to bond with its owner" I cringe.  Because it can take much longer ~ each horse is so very different.  But if you take the time upfront during the buying process to get an understanding of the core personality of the horse you're interested in bringing home, the odds get better that you'll have a chance at working out the relationship.

A relationship between human and horse is so very much like a marriage ~ you have to bring as much to the relationship as the other party, and you have to be willing to work it out when things aren't so rosie.

Tomorrow is the first day of spring and God is going to deliver another sunny 70 degree day, which is such a blessing in the Northeast this time of year.  We've got our first trail ride of the season planned to leave the barn at noon tomorrow ~ can't wait.  Happy Spring everyone!

No comments: