Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Day RIde

Unfortunately it wasn't nice enough to ride outside, as we had snow on top of ice so we had to settle for the indoor. Hubby was nice enough to come to the barn and groom the footing for us. It's been a real mess lately. We didn't work anything special - worked on relaxing under saddle, backing, walking turns on the forehand, cantering and a little leg yielding at the end. I realize I may be pushing him past "relaxation" at the walk, but it felt good. In retrospect and in reviewing the video, I should have kept him at a nice medium walk. But I do see some nice moments in there! But if I want consistency I need to be more patient. What I see though is a nice trail pony.

I'm getting happier with his backing, as its getting straighter and freer - hurray!! And his canter is getting more relaxed. Hopefully I can video tape our next lesson and we can repeat the awesome canter we performed for Deb a few weeks ago. The transition up was really "up" and I was able to keep him more collected by using half halts. It just felt great, and I really hope I can feel it the same way again.

I've been working really hard on "feel" as we work on our various exercises. Trying to keep the proper rhythm/tempo in my head and heart and use "intent" in my cues. It's getting better, at least I think he's responding to my intent. I believe we're finally at the point where we understand one another and the communication is finally on the same wavelength. It's been a heck of a journey, and I'm thankful to have learned so much.



Edited to add: I sent a link to the YouTube video to Liz Graves as she's been nice enough to keep tabs on us since we did her first clinic. She is in my opinion the finest horsewoman to walk the planet. She just "gets it" and has a wonderful way of sharing her knowledge with others all for the sake of the horse. I don't think she'd mind me posting her email response to me, and I do want to make sure I have this in my "history" to look back on when I'm an old woman some day.

Hi Kate,
The clip you sent is just awesome!!!!!!!!!
This is what I like to see, yes he’s relaxed and easy here, this shows how far you have both come.
If you can just keep this tone of sessions for a good while yet and not work or add much more right now but just maybe softening (making more subtle) your aids even more for the back, just time and patience . Being in his head right now to help him understand that this relaxed place can always be, is most important right now and you can add refinement , collection and advanced work later.
It’s my opinion as I’ve stated so many times is that we first :
1. Get into the heart through trust and relationship
2. They then open and give us their mind
3. And last they allow us to guide and direct their body.
This method is the one in which a horse will give us everything they can.
The more common train of human thought in teaching horses though is:
1. Control the body first 2. Then you own the mind.
Horses never get to be the best they can with this method.
Wonderful Kate, just wonderful!
Liz
YESSSSSS!!! We are on the right road and I will continue to work in this soft frame as recommended until he really does become "soft". He's getting there, I feel it!!

No comments: