Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lesson on Saturday

Yeah, I know I said dressage lessons were being put on permanent hold for awhile....but I definitely need to have a little structure brought into my sessions with G some days. I've been talking to Debbie on and off since our clinic with Mark Rashid, and she has been a really good sounding board. So the last time I saw her I set up a date.

What a great lesson. It was great for Debbie to see how far we've progressed since our last lesson with her, and she said it was obvious that I've still been working our exercises...like shoulder fore, shoulder in and leg yields. G was being very responsive and happy with contact and the Rockin S Raised snaffle....woohoo. Debbie also gave me a pat on the back for searching until I found what was right for G. That made me feel good.

It was really really cold - 27 degrees. I generally don't ride when it's under 32 degrees, but now that I have a quarter sheet for G as long as he was warm I wasn't too worried. So we spent the first half of the lesson working 15 meter circles; shoulder fore and in; then leg yields in both directions; and then leg yielding to the left 3-4 strides, going straight for 3 and then to the right fo 3-4 strides. G was very responsive and I'm getting better with my half halts to shorten his stride while maintaining impulsion.

On to canter work. Debbie said that G has gotten stronger since she last worked with him and she was happy to see that my timing in the half halts had improved. So now its time to start to really collect the canter. First we needed an immediate response to my cue...got it. Second she wanted to see more lift in the transition...we got it; and then she worked with us on using the half halts to shorten the stride while still maintaining forward motion and lift. The first 20 meter circle was okay, but with each attempt it got better and better. G maintained his "cool" throughout the entire lesson. It was a pleasure to ride such a responsive and much softer horse yesterday. I felt like we made real progress in collecting the canter, and maintaining impulsion.

I've decided I'm going to take a lesson a month through the winter, as I do find the time spent is more focused and productive. Hopefully I can get some video as being able to watch yourself ride is a lesson all onto itself.

No comments: