Friday, January 22, 2010

Quick Update

Nothing earth shattering to report, nothing really new going on. But I did have another wonderful ride last night on G and that always makes me smile.

I’m beginning to “feel” more and am working hard at using “intent” to cue G rather than direct aids; and he’s beginning to gait more with his neck in “neutral” rather than upright. I’m trying not to get overly excited and allow him to gait much, as I love the relaxed frame of mind and the smoothness of gait he’s delivering. So I will only circle the arena once in gait and then ask him to walk. We then go back to walking circles or serpentines; a little leg yielding on the next long side; shoulder fore on the next; and stopping square after each corner. Maybe 5 minutes later I’ll ask him to pick up gait again. But we spend more time in relaxation each time we work. This is a great thing!

G is also beginning to grasp the concept that just because I ask for a 20 meter canter on one end doesn’t mean I’m going to ask for it again on the next corner. He used to continually anticipate what he felt I was going to ask; but now he’s beginning to understand that he needs to wait for my cues. He would get so up and anxious over it.  As I continue to get better at my consistency in directing what, where, how fast, how slow; he is waiting for me before acting. I’m so hoping that when spring does get here and the trails are no longer covered in ice that all of this arena work is going to translate on the trail. It has in the past, so I’m hopeful.

Next lesson up this Saturday. I’m going to try and remember to bring the camera and set it up to tape; then following the lesson I’m going to meet Cora’s Walking Horse/SSH Georgia. Should be fun.

Stay tuned!


No comments: