Tuesday, April 6, 2010

And so begins the transition.....

On the advice of our vet during G's spring checkup/shots, he advised that we transition G as slow as possible (10-14 days) to the new hay and grain - based on his impaction back in '08.  Since he's headed to a herd environment I figured the best way to do that would be to transition him over to the hay at the current barn, and then when we get to the new place we can take a week to transition over the grain. 

So we picked up four bales of hay from the new barn on Sunday and I've written up a schedule to transition G from old to new.  By the time the 15th rolls around he will be on the new hay.  Yesterday was his first taste and when I offered him a half a flake he ripped it out of my hands like it was filet mignon!  It's real purdy hay - last years second cut but still showing traces of green.  Oh and the smell is heavenly!  I'm really happy, as the new barn's hay all comes from the same farm/fields all year long so it'll be real consistent.  With Mr. Fussy eater, this will be a great thing.  It will be interesting to see if he gains weight with it, or because he won't be in a paddock alone for the am and noon feedings if he gets cheated out of his fair share.  He's certainly not missing any meals, but it will be worth keeping an eye on him for sure.

Only ten more days!  I am so looking forward to riding in the outdoor arena - the footing is awesome, as it is in the indoor.  I think I'll enjoy being in a little bit of a smaller barn too.  Less politics and he said/she said (I hope!) I've promised myself to be Switzerland all the way. 

I'm sure the first snowy day I have to drive further I'll be cursing my decision, but it's 9+ months away so for now I'll be in horsie heaven.

1 comment:

Four Lease Ranch said...

What a great idea to start the transition early. One less thing to worry about with the stress of moving barns. The hay sounds great. I love that it all comes from the same field.