Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day of Firsts!

Absolutely one of the prettiest spring days you could ask for!  Sunny temps in the high 60's.  I brought Ozzy to the barn with me this morning as most of the other boarders have been bringing their dogs and I thought it would be could to get Ozzy acclimated to the horses.  I took him and G for a walk to the back of the property and except for sniffing each other, they were both fine with one another.  Soooo I tacked up went and got Ozzy and we headed off to the trail.  

It was my first time out on the trail with G (with exception to going up the hill to the trail head).  Ozzy's first time out on the trail and with a horse, and G's first time on the trail with Ozzy.  It went even better than I expected.  For the most part Ozzy stayed way out front of us or behind a safe distance.  As we got deeper into the woods Ozzy started to stop in the trail behind us and didn't move forward until I called.  After the third time he did this, I thought he was trying to tell me something.  Either he didn't like something he smelled (I hear there is a bear somewhere up this way as well as coyotes) or maybe he was just plain tuckered out.  He was after all running/jogging for a good 30 minutes.  So I decided to call it a day and turn around.  Ozzy was running so I think the tuckered out theory was out.  I had to keep calling him back cause he just wanted to go home.  It was neat that when we came out of the woods, Ozzy knew where to turn to head back to the barn.  The hill up the side of the Christmas tree farm is really long and steep and since Ozzy was cantering, Mr. G thought he should too.  I kept half halting and bringing him back to earth.  He got a wonderful hindend workout today both down and up this hill.  Its a great hill!  The trails are really pretty, some black flies but not bad and no mosquitoes.  Hallelujah!  By now the trails behind are old barn are infested with them.  

A took a couple of videos to show hubby what a great trail dog Ozzy is!  It's a bit shaky here and there, but hope you enjoy the scenery, I sure did!


No comments: