Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Long & Low

I was able to ride G both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I didn't bother working him with the bit at all, I just tacked him up with his sidepull and dressage saddle.

I took him to the outside track and we spent 15 minutes just walking on a loose rein around the track. We continued working the walk in a long and low head position. You definitely feel the power of his hind end and the rise in his back while doing this. After another 10 minutes I took up contact with the sidepull and asked him to step it up with a kiss - he immediately stepped into a beautiful and relaxed flat walk. No leg or whip needed. The best part was he continued to flatwalk until I asked him to come back down to a walk. Boy does this feel good. I know I probably shouldn't have, but I did ask him for a canter and got a beautiful lift and after three strides I brought him back to a walk. We walked the oval and I asked him again at the next corner. Again, a beautiful lift on the correct lead. So after 4 strides back to a walk. Now what a flat walk. He definitely strides better after doing a few of walk to canter transitions. I assume it's because he's now engaging his hind end AND he's more relaxed. Whatever it is, I'll take it.

I am delightfully amazed at how responsive he is to my seat cues. Liz did say that the order of aids should be seat & legs and then rein if needed. I've been so busy with "contact" that I haven't felt what else was going on. So this is definitely a wonderful exercise for me and a pleasant break for G I'm sure.

Sunday it was rainy and drizzly so we rode in the arena. We spent the first 15 minutes doing long & low work, doing serpentines and 20 meter circles. Walk, walk, walk and lots of it. After the first 30 minutes I asked for him to step it up and he did. Again, with much more impulsion and enthusiasm. I truly believe he is happy without having to worry about the bit. I know I don't have busy hands. I don't even think I have hard hands, but I do think after these few sessions that I can learn to be lighter in my feel and I believe that G will be able to regain his softness as well.

I just know we're on the right track now.

No comments: