Thursday, November 27, 2008

Lesson in Lightness: Mark Russell Part 1

Sometimes when you start with a horse (this being my first) you tend not to start at the very beginning. After all, your horse understands your rein cues, most of your seat and leg cues, so what do need with all the in-hand work?

I received Mark's book yesterday and dove right in. Like Mark Rashid, he drew me in immediately. In chapter 5 we begin with "Working in Hand". Although I've done ground work, mostly Parelli based games based on pressure and release, this is the first time that I spent time encouraging G to stretch his jaw and TMJ. I've often thought that part of G's issue with not finding and holding a sweet spot on his own, was twofold. One his lack of relaxation, and of course my hands trying to hold his head in what I thought was a "sweet spot".

Mark begins "Teaching the Exercise" with the following statement: "Relaxing the jaw may seem quite simple, but it can be difficult for many trainers to accomplish". Because he uses a slight vibration on the inside rein and absolutely no pulling whatsoever, horses that are not light don't get it right away. I know, I spent 15 minutes vibrating the rein until G finally released his jaw, licked and chewed. The very moment you feel release you release. It took another 10 minutes on the other side, but it's progress. We spent the next 15 minutes at liberty just walking serpentines back and forth across the arena. G pretty much kept his head long and low for most of it, and you could see how relaxed he was. When we stopped I gave him a wonderful neck massage and called it a night.

Back in the barn he got himself a small warm peppermint mash - his favorite! Tomorrow I'll work on relaxing the jaw again and if the trail is dryer take him out for a nice relaxing trail ride. If its wet, we'll tack up with the sidepull and do serpentines and circles at a walk in the arena.

No comments: