Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sunday November 8, 2009

Okay, Brenda says I need to update my blog so here goes!!

Ahhh [heavy sigh] we finally got out on the trail out behind the farm on Sunday. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, sunny and around 65 degrees....such a pleasure for November. We went out with a fellow boarder and her TB mare S, who just so happens to be one of G's fence mates and current gal pal.

When we got to the bridge G decided he wanted to back away from it. Such a surprise since the last time we went out he crossed it like it wasn't there. After several attempts and refusals, B got down off her horse and said "I'm walking across". Okay, G will follow S and we did. When B mounted back up she said that S started baulking at G's first refusal and thought that G might've been feeding off her. Maybe, but it's done so can't dwell on it.

We headed out toward the river with S in the lead and G calming walking about two horse lengths behind her. This is a far cry from the last time we went out with another horse, where he wanted to be right up behind them. His head is down, relaxed at the poll and just a nice relaxed walk. Once we got up toward the highway underpass, G and I took the lead cause its a scary place according to S. G really wanted to let S lead, but I pushed him forward until the trail widened again and then walked side by side. What a glorious day and it was so nice to ride with B again. I think the last time was close to two years ago!

When it came time to turn around they both did their usual "woohoo, let's go home - head up - high alert" mode. I simply stayed relaxed and just asked G with slight squeezes on the reins to slow his tempo. Meantime, S is jigging like crazy and B is trying to calm her down by talking. It made me think about how I used to respond to G when he got jiggy - I always thought talking would calm him. I started asking Brenda questions we started conversing again. Next thing you know S has stopped jigging and we're walking back to the barn. Ah, relaxed riders = relaxed horses. Don't get me wrong, we're walking at a nice pace...we're just not jigging; G's not losing his brains; and it felt good!

So what was different about this ride from my last ride where G wouldn't stay relaxed?


  1. We were with another horse - even if she was jigging and nervous (why G didn't feed off this surprised me as nervous horses usually cause him to react)
  2. G was in his Rockin' S Raised snaffle bit
  3. I was riding with reins crossed in one hand with consistent contact the whole ride
  4. When he did get keyed up I asked him to lower his head and walk
  5. I didn't try to calm him with words, I stayed relaxed and focused on talking to B
Mark Rashid said, when I begin to ride G as consistently as I work with him on the ground, then I will begin to have a different horse. So what did I do consistently this ride that I haven't in the past? I rode him with one hand the whole ride. I didn't switch from neck reining to direct reining; and I didn't change the amount of contact. I kept a nice steady feel with his mouth.
In watching the boring video of me walking G around the arena while talking to Mark about me & G, I noticed that everytime I put the reins in one hand so I could "talk" with the other, G would immediately relax at the poll and lower his head. Not rooting or pulling at the bit, but seeking the contact. Wow, after all this time of trying to find the right contact; the right bit; was it so simple that G was simply trying to tell me that he didn't like direct contact with two hands? Cause anytime someone rode him with two hands, he would fight contact. He'd be on again off again, head up head down. Didn't matter whose hands - Claudia, Deb, Lisa, me.
My conclusion is that its a combination of the bit which is more comfortable in his mouth and allows him to relax at the poll and riding with one hand. For now, this is how we will ride. Dressage lessons are pretty much now on permanent hold and will be replaced with doing more work in hand. How can one be consistent if they are continually switching from riding western to english? Direct reining to neck reining?
So as far as under saddle goes, this will be the one way we ride going forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy isn't it - how something so simple as riding with one hand can be so effective! Good eyes and intuition!

I've also found breathing correctly a huge help.

There's too much deer hunting going on here for me to be happy riding - so they get to loll about in an old hayfield and be horses. The poor mule just wants to go "do" something so badly! LOL Little does he realize....it's coming!

Kate a.k.a. MBG said...

Yeah, we're currently only riding out behind our place on Sundays, since Connecticut has a no hunt rule. Thank you legislators for keeping it a law, lol.

I've been pretty good at picking up on G not settling with the bits we've tried, but I was beginning to think it was just bits period. I'm glad I've watched the video over and over as I was able to pick up on it. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm saying to Mark....I can hear him just fine, lol. I then kept tuning into Mark's words "if you become as consistent in the saddle as you are on the ground, you'll have a different horse". This of course led me to questioning everything I've been doing the past 6 years. No wonder he's been confused!!! lol...the journey begins again....

Hopefully you'll get your mule out for a good long ride soon. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out long enough!